Saturday, May 25, 2013

Why Math Matters


Life Changes


When I was young
 I hated broccoli.
But now I'm older
I enjoy broccoli a lot.
If I had banished
broccoli from the earth,
I wouldn't have
tried it, and liked it,
later on.

Everybody changes.
If you banish math
from your life now,
You will limit
your options.

You may not want to be
an engineer,
an accountant,
or a business owner now,
but in the future
you may want to be
something different,
something that involves math

Life Changes,
Don't limit your options
to deal with change.
Keep math in your life.


Why I wrote this:
As a volunteer math mentor/tutor for Middle and High School Students the most common complaint I hear is:
 "Why do I have to do this! I'm never going to use this again!"
So I started to think of reasons, that don't necessarily involve knowing math for math's sake, on why the study of math will help students in the real world and decided to share them here. I have several other reasons that I will be sharing in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment